Who knew how well fennel’s licorice notes would pair with savoury sundried black olives? This dish boasts a bold flavour that is sure to bring compliments to the chef.
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Cut each fennel lengthwise into 8 wedges with core attached to each wedge.
- Combine fennel, garlic, rosemary, and peppers in a large bowl.
- Drain oil from sundried black olives and reserve for seasoning to drizzle.
- Spread fennel mixture on baking sheet, then drizzle with seasoning and bake for 15 min, turn mid-way.
- Add sundried black olives over fennel, continue baking for 5 min.
- Remove from oven and place in serving dish.
Tip: This dish is great for sharing. Place it in the centre of the table with serving forks and let your guests help themselves.
Try this recipe with any grain of rice, couscous, or even quinoa for a new taste every time. Nutritious and filling, with a mild flavour that won’t overpower the rest of your meal, it serves as an excellent side!
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Mix oil into chilled cooked rice.
- Add the tomatoes, peppers and garlic.
- Add stuffed olives whole or sliced in half.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Toss all ingredients.
- Garnish with fresh oregano.
Tip: Serve chilled or warm for a different experience. If heating, try pre-cooking or grilling the vegetables prior to adding them to the rest of the dish.
Transform an ordinary white loaf into something special! Olives add a depth of flavour to this rustic bread recipe. This loaf is crusty, chewy and filled with the goodness of our Kalamata and black olives. The interior crumb is light-textured, aromatic and packs a pocket of flavour with every bite.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Knead all the ingredients in a large bowl (except for olives and peppers) together for about 5 to 7 min. on lightly floured surface.
- Place in bowl covered lightly with plastic wrap for about 30 min. or until dough is doubled in size.
- Remove wrap and place dough on lightly floured surface. Flatten dough slightly in a circle and place olives and peppers on dough. Knead mixture into the dough, adding a little flour if it gets too sticky. Knead until ingredients are incorporated and dough is smooth again.
- Place dough back in bowl and lightly cover with wrap. Let rise again until doubled (about 30 min).
- Remove dough and knead again for 5 min. Let rise again for final time until doubled.
- Lightly grease baking sheet with olive oil and sprinkle in a little cornmeal.
- Remove dough from bowl and form into a roundish shape. Top with extra olives (optional). Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Lower temperature to 375°F and let bake for another 30 mins until golden and crisp.
A fresh, no cook ‘sauce’ of antipasto condiments that makes for an easy-peasy pasta! This is one of those recipes that you can totally make your own. If you don’t like one of the ingredients, just double up on one of the others. The ingredients are for one, but it’s an easy transition to two, three, four, or more – simple math!
- Set water to boil for the pasta: prepare pasta as per instructions.
- While the pasta is boiling, combine all the ingredients in a small food processor or blender.
- Whir to a medium rough chop. Don’t go too fine- you will lose the flavours, and it will get all muddy.
- Drain the pasta, reserving some of the pasta water to help the ‘sauce’ spread and cling to the pasta.
- Place the pasta in a bowl and add the ‘sauce’. Toss, adding water if necessary to help it out.
- Garnish with extra parsley, parmesan cheese and more lemon zest if desired.
- If you like heat, sprinkle on some hot chili flakes if desired!
Tip: No need to season with salt and pepper – the antipasti are already well seasoned!
Recipe and photo by:
Freelance Recipe Developer, Baker, Cook
The Lemon Apron www.thelemonapron.com
This Greek-inspired pie combines the mild and mellow flavours of tomato and black olives with the comforting aroma of garlic and basil leaves. Much like the goddess from whom its name is derived, this gourmet pizza is sure to “save the day” as it satisfies your hunger for Mediterranean cuisine!
- Preheat oven (use centre rack) at 400ºF/200ºC.
- Top your pizza shell with sauce leaving a ½” border.
- Add shredded mozzarella, sliced tomato, garlic and pitted black olives.
- Place in oven.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and garnish with fresh parsley.
Our all-star, easy-to-follow pasta recipe will have your taste buds dancing! The cherry tomatoes cook long enough to release their juicy goodness, which blend exquisitely with the garlic-flavoured olive oil. This delicious dish combines sundried black olives and fresh basil for a beautifully simple and easy addition to the table.
- 1 pkg spaghetti or penne
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup Sardo Sundried Black Olives
- 2 large cloves minced garlic
- ¼ cup EVOO (Extra-Virgin Olive Oil)
- 4 fresh basil leaves (chopped)
- Chili flakes to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese to taste
- In a large skillet, add olive oil and garlic and cook until golden (do not burn).
- Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring it to a boil.
- Add 2 tbsp of salt to the water.
- Add cherry tomatoes and a half full ladle of boiling water to your skillet.
- Stir and cover with a lid for about 5 to 6 minutes until tomatoes start to soften.
- Add chopped basil leaves and olives, then cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn off the skillet heat and set it aside.
- Cook pasta according to directions on the package.
- Drain and add to the tomatoes and olives mixture, tossing to combine.
- Sprinkle with chili flakes and serve with fresh grated cheese, if desired.
Tip: Pair with a dry Italian white, such as Pinot Grigio or Soave.
This traditional Italian pasta dish, which has developed many variations over the generations, bursts with a variety of colourful and fresh veggies. Our healthy recipe provides you with a balanced dish, and the option to take creative liberties where desired. This complete, good-for-you meal will satisfy the pasta lover, and is also great for getting kids to eat their veggies.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan.
- Add peppers, tomatoes and sliced kalamata olives and capers, heat for 5-7 min.
- Boil water and add 1 tbsp of salt.
- Add pasta.
- Strain pasta once ready (according to package directions).
- Add pasta to pan with remaining ingredients.
- Toss and serve.
Our favourite meat protein gets a boost in this easy-to-make and flavourful recipe. Using our grilled button mushrooms and their oil-based marinade, infuse chicken breasts with an instant rich flavour and aroma that is sure to satisfy. Finding quality meals you can prepare in minutes is no simple task, making this recipe the perfect sidekick to your busy schedule.
- Add 3 tsp of reserved oil to a skillet on medium heat.
- Season chicken breasts and place on skillet for 10 min, turning over half-way.
- Heat 2 tbsp of reserved oil in skillet.
- Place a chicken breast in the centre of each plate, then pour oil equally over each.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Take the flavour of “game time” to the next level with this hearty twist on the classic grilled cheese! Spiced up with tex-mex and jalapeño pepper slices, this savoury sandwich is sure to satisfy.
- In a mixing bowl, add cheese, jalapeños, sliced kalamata olives, avocado, cilantro and onions.
- Cut off the ends of the baguette, then slice the crust off the top and bottom and butter both top and bottom.
- Cut the baguette lengthwise through the middle and spread sundried tomato tapenade on the inside of both halves.
- Add the mixed ingredients to one side of the open-faced bread and close it.
- Warm a skillet to medium temperature.
- Place sandwich in skillet, cooking each side until golden brown.
- Once both sides are browned and the cheese has melted, remove skillet from heat, slice sandwich in half and enjoy!
The savoury-sweet taste of our fire-roasted red peppers are complemented perfectly by smooth and creamy goat cheese in this flavourful wrap recipe. Enjoy them for lunch, dinner or even a snack if you’re especially hungry!
- Lay out flat 4 wraps and spread basil pesto on each.
- Add 2 pieces of sweet fire roasted pepper to each wrap.
- Sprinkle the goat cheese evenly over each wrap.
- Add onions and cilantro.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold both sides of the wrap to touch in the middle.
- Roll the opposite side over, to complete the roll.
- Use a toothpick to hold.
Tip: Take care not to overfill each wrap or they will be difficult to fold properly.