Transform an ordinary white loaf into something special! Olives add a depth of flavour to this rustic bread recipe. This loaf is crusty, chewy and filled with the goodness of our Kalamata and black olives. The interior crumb is light-textured, aromatic and packs a pocket of flavour with every bite.
- 3 cups Best For Bread flour
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. yeast
- 3 tbsp. cornmeal
- 3 tbsp. EVOO
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning blend (optional)
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ cup Sardo Sliced Kalamata Olives
- ½ minced red pepper and green jalapeño pepper (optional)
- 1 cup Sardo Pitted Sundried Black Olives
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Knead all the ingredients in a large bowl (except for olives and peppers) together for about 5 to 7 min. on lightly floured surface.
- Place in bowl covered lightly with plastic wrap for about 30 min. or until dough is doubled in size.
- Remove wrap and place dough on lightly floured surface. Flatten dough slightly in a circle and place olives and peppers on dough. Knead mixture into the dough, adding a little flour if it gets too sticky. Knead until ingredients are incorporated and dough is smooth again.
- Place dough back in bowl and lightly cover with wrap. Let rise again until doubled (about 30 min).
- Remove dough and knead again for 5 min. Let rise again for final time until doubled.
- Lightly grease baking sheet with olive oil and sprinkle in a little cornmeal.
- Remove dough from bowl and form into a roundish shape. Top with extra olives (optional). Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Lower temperature to 375°F and let bake for another 30 mins until golden and crisp.